- City of London
Confidence in the industry was shattered by the financial crisis. Governments have introduced comprehensive and radical regulation as a way of rebuilding trust.
For small businesses the scope of the new rules can seem daunting, and for new staff in the sector it’s hard to know where to begin.
But poor compliance causes more than just a regulatory headache. It can ruin a firm’s reputation and devastate its balance sheet. Breaking the rules can also lead to staff dismissal and personal liability (at all levels in the firm).
This intensive, hands-on course will help you get your head around the fundamentals, giving you a thorough grounding in UK financial services regulation. You’ll learn to think like a regulator, and to avoid making compliance mistakes. Get expert guidance on:
- The UK’s regulatory structure after the abolition of the FSA
- The Approved Persons regime
- The new Conduct of Business rules
- Financial crime issues including anti-money laundering and bribery
- Changes to the Client Assets Sourcebook
- Complaints and redress procedures
This practical course is of particular value to new starters in financial services, and those working towards regulatory qualifications.
Grasp the key regulatory issues quickly
The sheer scope of the UK’s regulatory agencies can be overwhelming. We’ve done the hard work for you by identifying the most important features of the system; saving you time and helping you avoid costly mistakes down the road.
Stay one step ahead – Regulation is constantly changing, and it’s easier than you might think to break the rules. Make sure you’re protected with the latest regulatory advice from our experts.
Work with greater efficiency – Getting to grips with regulatory issues now means you’ll avoid last-minute panics. You’ll spend less time trawling through legislation and more time adding value to your firm.
Learn what applies to you – As an employee of a financial services firm, you could be liable for heavy financial penalties, lawsuits and accusations of misconduct. Minimise that risk by making sure you’re on top of your responsibilities.
Get on the fast track to success – Even if you’re new to financial services, it’s never too soon to be thinking about personal development. A detailed understanding of the regulatory landscape will give you the technical skills to match your ambition.
Safeguard your firm (and its reputation) – Compliance can make or break even the biggest of businesses. There’s no exception to that rule. Arm yourself with the knowledge you need to protect your firm, and make sure its reputation stays spotless.
The Course Agenda
The structure of regulation
- An introduction to regulation
- The Financial Services and Markets Act 2000
- The Financial Services Act and creation of the FCA and PRA
- Regulated activities and investments
- An overview of the principles for businesses
- Senior management systems and controls
- Understand the routes to authorisation
- Learn who can be excluded from authorisation
The FCA’s approach to regulation
- Statutory and operational objectives
- What is the Fit and Proper Test?
- How does the approval process work?
- Performing controlled functions
Conduct of Business rules
- An introduction to client categorisation
- Understanding inducements
- Rules regarding financial promotions
- Assessing appropriateness and suitability
Client money rules
- The Client Assets Sourcebook (CASS)
- Accountability and record-keeping
- Meeting prudential standards
- The EU’s Capital Requirements Directives
Complaints, enforcement and redress
- What is a complaint?
- Understanding procedures and timescales
- The Financial Services Compensation Scheme
- The Financial Services Ombudsman
Insider dealing and market abuse
- An overview of offences and penalties
- The UK Listing Authority’s Model Code
- What is money laundering?
- Legislation and offences
- Carrying out due diligence
- Expert guidance on the latest announcements, consultation papers and enforcement
Meet The Tutor
Ian Richardson has over 30 years experience in the Investment Industry as both a practitioner and in a variety of senior management roles.
An experienced trainer, Ian’s technical and compliance knowledge is both extensive and current. He regularly lectures for the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments on FSA Regulation & Compliance, Securities and Investment Principles and Risk. He co-authored the PCIAM approved textbook and over recent years has successfully coached many experienced portfolio managers through this examination and many others for RDR purposes.
Who is this course for?
This one-day briefing has been designed for:
- New employees of financial services firms
- Employees wishing to update their knowledge
- Students of foundation or certificate level regulatory qualifications
Training that makes a difference
Experienced engaging trainers
With first hand industry knowledge and an intimate understanding of the regulatory environment, we always guide you with an expert (and friendly) hand.
Packed with relevant information
We know you’re busy, so we’re careful not to waste a minute of your time. Our training courses are fast paced, insightful and filled with valuable information.
Get personalised attention
Sessions are practical workshops not PowerPoint lectures. All courses are limited to no more than 14 attendees, so we’re able to explain concepts in the context of your business.