- Managing T&C in a Changing Regulated Environment To Meet SMCR Requirements
26 June, 2019
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
- City of London
Course Fees (excl. VAT)
- Single Booking £595.00 (GBP)
- Multiple Booking £535.50 (GBP)
What would the regulator think about your firm’s training and competence policies? This course helps you meet and maintain expected standards.
Compliance failures are often put down to staff incompetence. High profile cases have uncovered chief execs operating with no knowledge of the latest regulation. The FCA has sharpened its focus on training and competence (T&C) as a result.
You must be able to prove (to an intrusive regulator) that your T&C policies mitigate risk and promote professionalism.
This is about more than just compliance, it’s about genuinely improving standards. A good T&C programme helps your firm retain its best staff and attract new talent. A poor one can expose your business to accusations of misconduct and financial penalties.
With limited guidance from the regulator, establishing a robust framework is a challenge. This one-day course will help you develop the policies and processes you need to ensure your people reach and maintain competence:
- Understand the regulator’s mind-set and the practical applications of T&C
- Learn how to assess and maintain competence on a continuous basis
- Recognise the role of the regulated supervisor and apply it to senior managers and directors
- Integrate compliance best practice into your business strategy
Gain confidence in your T&C framework
Protect your workforce
Employees rarely set out to break the rules. More often than not, compliance issues occur because individuals are simply unaware of the latest regulation. A well-structured training regime will help keep them up-to-speed with the rules and safe from compliance failures.
Drive up standards of professionalism
A successful T&C regime is one that’s easily interpreted by both the workforce and the regulator. Introducing measurable targets will promote self-assessment among your staff, encouraging them to raise their game.
Attract and retain the best staff
Personal development is a key incentive to high-performing individuals, so a competitive training programme helps attracts new talent. And a formal T&C regime will embed a culture of learning, helping your protect and retain your best people.
Prove you put customers first
Ethics and standards of behaviour are one of the regulator’s top priorities. Your firm needs to demonstrate that customers are at the heart of its strategy, so a watertight approach to staff assessment and monitoring is essential.
The Course Agenda
The impact of higher standards of professionalism
- How new standards affect advisers, supervisors, SIFs and information givers
- Evidencing competence and improving ethics
- Setting standards for continuing professional development (CPD)
Demonstrating competence in a changing regulatory environment
- Competence in a post RDR world
- Identify the key elements for an effective Training & Competence framework
- Investing in skills development
Reviewing policies and identifying improvements
- Which elements of your T&C regime need to change?
- Are current key performance indicators fit for purpose?
- Exercise – Self assessment of your T&C regime
Ensuring competent supervision
- Understanding the regulator’s expectations
- What “good” looks like in practice
- Competence requirements for supervisors
- How to assess a supervisor’s competence
- Case study – Supervisor competency assessment
New CPD requirements: rising to the challenge
- Establishing a CPD policy and allocating responsibility
- Top tips for aligning CPD with your business strategy
- Exercise – Understanding what counts towards CPD hours
Statements of Professional Standing (SPS)
- An overview of accredited bodies
- Obtaining and renewing SPS on a continuous basis
- Recognising eligibility criteria
- The repercussions of failure to obtain SPS
Understanding the FCA’s approach to T&C
- An intensive approach to training and competence
- Looking for clues in the Risk Outlook
Meet The Tutor
Director Of Learning
Richard worked for Bupa for over 20 years until 2011, where his career spanned a diverse range of senior management roles covering customer service, business operations, commercial strategy/policy development, risk management and regulatory compliance – alongside the ‘day-job’ he was also heavily involved in leadership development, coaching and mentoring.
From early 2011 to May 2018 Richard was a freelance consultant specialising in the areas of regulatory compliance and learning and development before joining FSTP, as Director of Learning, in June 2018.
Who is this course for?
This one-day course has been designed for:
- Compliance teams
- HR departments
- Training and development professionals
- Line managers
'What a thoroughly engaging course this was. I found the content to be highly relevant to my role and has helped me to identify some gaps which need to be addressed. I look forward to attending another course with you in the future.'
Private Client Investment Firm
Training that makes a difference
Experienced engaging trainers
With first hand industry knowledge and an intimate understanding of the regulatory environment, we always guide you with an expert (and friendly) hand.
Packed with relevant information
We know you’re busy, so we’re careful not to waste a minute of your time. Our training courses are fast paced, insightful and filled with valuable information.
Get personalised attention
Sessions are practical workshops not PowerPoint lectures. All courses are limited to no more than 14 attendees, so we’re able to explain concepts in the context of your business.