- Evidencing Effective Board Reporting
15 January, 2019
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- City of London
Course Fees (excl. VAT)
- Single Booking £295.00 (GBP)
- Multiple Booking £265.50 (GBP)
Good decisions require good information. Directors often blame poor information when outcomes turn bad. So naturally the board pack has come under increased regulatory scrutiny.
Weak board packs place your firm at risk of fines, redress and reputational damage.
With the FCA also focusing on personal accountability at the senior level (and with the quality of board packs the responsibility of directors), it is no surprise there is a demand for higher standards.
So join us for this practical two-hour workshop. We’ll help you think like a regulator and transform the quality of your board packs:
- Recognise common reporting problems and how to overcome them
- Quickly improve the structure and content of your board packs
- Learn exactly what the regulator expects the board to see
- Get guidance and templates to share with all contributors
- Compare examples of good and bad reporting
- Learn strategies for more timely creation and distribution of packs
- Get valuable advice on ways to improve how your board operates
Why Evidencing Effective Board Reporting is an essential course
This training is not about better looking reports, or even just about regulatory compliance. Better management information can have profound effects on your firm:
Respond quickly to risks
Better information allows you to more quickly respond to conduct risks, helping you improve outcomes for your clients.
Avoid costly mistakes
Put your client’s interests and your firm’s integrity at the heart of your business, reducing your exposure to costly complaints.
Get closer to your clients
Better board packs help you better understand and respond to client needs and issues, building stronger relationships.
Impress the regulators
Easily demonstrate how seriously senior managers engage with and
respect compliance issues in your firm.
Enjoy peace of mind
Get the extra comfort that comes with the ability to easily demonstrate high standards through better reporting processes.
The Course Agenda
What are the standards?
• International and European developments on this topic
• Review of the legal framework (Companies Act, FRC etc.)
• Get the standards and view of the regulator(s), including the latest insights from the new Prudential and Conduct regulators
• What topics you must cover during the year?
• Complementary roles and responsibilities of the Company Secretary and Chairman
What should you include?
• Schedule of matters reserved for the board
• Balance financial performance, operational and control issues
• Develop a checklist to capture the full agenda
• Co-ordinate the content of Committee packs versus that for full Board meetings
Perfecting your board papers
• Learn the use and value of templates
• Get examples of templates for different purposes
• How best can you implement standardised reporting?
• Agenda setting strategies to ensure a logical order and appropriate timing
• Make sure information is received on time
Identify and overcome common problem
• Plan ahead to better anticipate problems
• Agree clear standards for directors, board participants and submitters of information
• When are board presentations helpful (and when are they not)?
• How do you best manage and follow up actions?
Meet The Tutor
Simon’s professional background covers financial management, corporate treasury and risk management. His experience has been gained across a number of industry sectors including banking, publishing, IT, retail and manufacturing. During the last 14 years Simon has held a number of senior positions within the retail and commercial banking sector.
Simon became an independent trainer, consultant and lecturer in 2015 and his current areas of interest include enterprise risk management, regulatory compliance and corporate governance.
Who is this course for?
It’s perfect for anyone who receives or prepares board papers, including:
- Company Secretaries
- Executive/Non-executive Directors
- Significant Influence Functions holders in FCA regulated firms
- Senior Compliance and Business Managers
'Simon was clear, balanced, insightful and thought provoking. Excellent 2 hours.'
Retail Banking Company
Training that makes a difference
Experienced engaging trainers
With first-hand industry knowledge and an intimate understanding of the regulatory environment, we always guide you with an expert (and friendly) hand.
Packed with relevant information
We know you’re busy, so we’re careful not to waste a minute of your time. Our training courses are fast paced, insightful and filled with valuable information.
Get personalised attention
Sessions are practical workshops not PowerPoint lectures. All courses are limited to no more than 14 attendees, so we’re able to explain concepts in the context of your business.